Saturday, May 18, 2013


                               Heading to Asia

Fort Lauderdale to Singapore! I decided several months ago to take a trip to Asia. Never thrilled by air travel, I had been kind of dreading the moment. I got a business class seat as a way to make the voyage more tolerable.

Leaving Fort Lauderdale on a cool and windy Tuesday evening, I settle into American Airlines seat 4A headed to JFK. I am embarrassed to admit that I have very low expectations having used AA in the past. We take off in the comfortable seat of the 737 and start the 2hr 10 min flight! It is a good omen. I am welcomed by a very pleasant flight attendant who greets me by name! Wow! Is this the new AA? Soon we are served perfectly seasoned warm nuts which go very well with the excellent red wine I am poured. A delicious and healthy looking broiled chicken dinner follows. Even dessert is outstanding. A generous slice of fresh baked cheesecake. Before I know it, we've landed at JFK. 

I head over to Cathay Pacific for my next 2 legs of the trip. I had read great reviews on Cathay but I am not looking forward to the scheduled 18 hour trip to Hong Kong. I was not picky about seat selection and find myself seated in 15A, just next to the door and the galley. Will the beehive of activity going on in the galley spell trouble for me?

We take off for what turns out to be the best flight I have ever taken. There is really no better aircraft than a 777 with flat beds. The ride is amazingly smooth. Service is impeccable. Flight attendants are available to cater to every whim but remain very quiet and don’t disturb despite my close proximity to the galley. The food is delicious and the entertainment is first class. I watch a movie, eat supper and go to sleep for more than 6 hours. When I wake up, I have a snack (available any time) of a warm bowl of Chinese noodle soup with roast duck. I watch another couple of movies before breakfast is served. Soon thereafter we are landing in Hong Kong. 

Walking through this vast airport is a welcome exercise after seating so long. I make my way past scores of shops and restaurants (closed at this early hour) and head to gate 63 for the connection to Singapore. On the way. I make a pit stop at the Cathay lounge for a warm shower. The lounge itself is clean, modern and efficient. The shower stalls are large with powerful jets. I am invigorated and ready for the last leg of the trip.

It’s another 777!. I am again in seat 15A. The 3 and a half hour flight is smooth and quick. Finally I land at the world’s best airport, Changi. Within 15 minutes of landing, I have made my way past immigration, collected my luggage and gone through customs. I step outside in the moist tropical air, hail a clean, air-conditioned taxi and make my way to my hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment